Friday, January 23, 2009

Calling all artists

Heh heh heh. News flash from the secret water cooler: the Commiseration Station is open for business. We all know how hard it is to break in, even if you have all the talent in the world. If you don't know where to start, if you're afflicted by shyness, if you are soooo close and can't seem to shatter the ceiling, this place is for you. Want to whine and vent about your most recent rejection? Did somebody actually say something good about your work? Let it out! We're here to listen. Just please, don't burn our ears, don't burn your bridges, and don't expect us to jump on your bandwagon if all you're here to do is badmouth somebody.

The founder of this blog is S. A. Bolich, Sue to her friends, a writer who recently figured out that working for anybody but her muse was never going to be anything but a day job. Don't get me wrong. Employers love me. I do quality work. I make my deadlines, boost their sales, and work harder than they have a right to expect. But. It's their job, their work, and their bottom line all that sweat is enhancing. It is not fulfilling to me, and it is not what I want to spend my limited lifetime doing. I can't focus on making my writing a success when I am giving 100% of my brainpower to an employer. So. At the height of a recession when the mutuals I was depending on decided to crash the second I quit ... I am writing fulltime. Scared? You bet? Motivated? Even more so. People say I'm good. Lately a few editors have agreed. I hope to continue that trend. I have 18 subs out the door for January 2009. Track record so far: 1 acceptance, 1 rejection. Stay tuned.

Better yet, let me hear from you guys. What are your goals for the year? What are you doing to get there? You know what they say: write down your goals, and you have a far better chance of achieving them. What are you waiting for?

Time to commiserate. What's your story?

Sue


Posted by a rising star at Commiseration Station

No comments:

Post a Comment